Browsing Category

Community

Motocross Race

Competitiveness

When I was young, I was very competitive.  Having an equally competitive brother didn’t help.  Whether it was sports, academic achievement or games, I would fight tooth-and-nail to win.  My sister despaired. I liked...
Arm Wrestling

Interaction

Interaction with other players is the reason I play boardgames.  However, interaction comes in many varieties – some much better than others! Have you ever played a game where tensions rise, people fall out...
Blogging

Why I Blog

It’s all Jamey Stegmaier’s fault! As you’ve probably heard me say on several occasions now, we’re planning to use Kickstarter.  You don’t need to spend long researching Kickstarter before you come across Jamey Stegmaier. ...
Dixit Card Set

Gaming with Non-Gamers

“Oh, she’s not interested in playing games.” I was arranging to play games with a couple of friends (let’s call them Frank and Sarah) outside my usual sphere of gamer friends and I had...
Community

Community

When I was young, I wanted to be a monk (don’t ask!).  It wasn’t because I wanted to retreat from the world; it was because I found the idea of living in a community...
Scythe Components

Why I Back Kickstarter Projects

I love Kickstarter.  I’ve backed a fair number of projects now, but until recently, I’ve never really analysed why I do it.  Projects can vary enormously and my reasons for backing a project may...
Catan - Close Up

Why I Play Boardgames

My Dad is a retired policeman.  Just around the time personal computers were first made available, he was injured in the line of duty and received a compensation payout.  Newly married, finances were tight...